Sunday, October 13, 2013

What Has Been Done Can Never Be Undone

  I heard the crack of the gunshot before I felt the pain. Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't painful at all. Just a strange buzzing sound in my head, as if my brain was bidding its time to explode into a squishy mess. I fell to my knees and was greeted by a soft blanket of snow, cushioning my fall. I saw a pool of dark scarlet blood around me, turning the snow that was once a pure white into a gory red. Then, I made the mistake of looking up, right into the eyes that oozed hatred; a pair of blue eyes with specks of gold; a pair of eyes that I would call beautiful, if not for the hint of menace that screamed out 'PSYCHO' at you. My best friend's eyes. Well, you must be wondering why this boy would kill his best friend.

     It was a beautiful night. The moon cast a pale glow on the snow around me, making everything seem like a Disney fairytale. Right beside me, was Anne. "Mathias, I don't like lying to John," she sighed. "We should tell him the truth between us. He'll understand..." A desolate sigh escaped her lips.

     "Don't worry about it," I chuckled as I pecked her nose and stared dreamily, lost in her eyes. At that moment, a man clumsily stumbled out in front of us. His lips curled into a snarl and I could see a vein pulsating on his very thick neck. A low growl emanated from him, reminding me of an animal right before it was going to kill you. "John... " Anne gasped.

   I told Anne to go back home and in a fit of tears and hiccups, she did. "John, I can explain-" I started but then his fist connected with my left eye. "Alex told me but I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that you could do this to me." I expected him to roar and unleash the rage that was condensed within himself but all I heard was the voice of a man who seemed lost. "We are best friends, and you betrayed me," he whispered. His eyes were filled with sorrow when they met mine. "Mathias, you betrayed me."

     "Please John, I can explain," I began, then thought the better of it. "Look, the night is late. Let's just talk tomorrow," I offered and watched him look at me like a stranger on the street. He stood there, like an inanimate object and I began to wonder if he could recover from this. So, I inched closer to him, every fibre of my being filled with regret.

     With a sudden strike, like a black mamba injecting venom into its prey, John struck me with something hard. Out of the corner of my eye, I could barely make out a gun. A metallic taste formed in my mouth but before I could even notice that it was blood, John kicked my abdomen hard, with what sounded like a warcry. He kicked me, punched me, spat on me, while spewing profanities with every strike until finally, after what seemed like forever, he pulled out a gun. I couldn't do anything, my limbs were black and blue and my spirit was crushed. I could barely see anything from my swollen black eyes.

     "You're my best friend, Mathias, " he whispered into my ear with an eerie calm. He dragged all 160 pounds of me up and slammed the life out me against an oak tree. "I hope you have fun down there. I'll meet you in hell," he sounded deranged and crazy. I felt something cold press against my stomach. BANG! As I lay there, dying in agony, John walked away.

     Shivering, I thought if I had deserved this after my sin. It was my fault, mea culpa. As I gasped my final breath, my last thought was, 'what is done can never be undone'.

Marks = 42/50

No comments:

Post a Comment