Friday, March 22, 2013

Education System As I See It

This week was the least hectic week I've had this year but so far its the most stressful because its the first test of the year.

Its supposed to be super easy but for me, its moderately hard.

Let me explain to you non-malaysians out there the education system in my school in my point of view.

Every year, we have two tests and two exams, a test and an exam for each semester. The tests are useless (to me at least) but the exams are what determines your place in class so its important to do well in that. But I don't like to look at class placings because even if you get first in class, you can still get the 100th in the whole form.

The tests are only for when you need to ask to not be lowered a class. You are determined what class you are by how smart you are. When the school decides you're stupid, you get lowered a class or two. No point sugar coating it. Last year, I dropped down three classes which I deserve to because I failed five subjects then.

For my year, you have to hand up two years worth of experiment reports for chemistry, physics and biology where you do experiments and report (duh..), four essays on moral values, four reports on community services, four oral tests for english and also for malay.

Not much to do actually if you think about it, but I am perpetually lazy so... yeah. Even going to the library was strain.

So we do all these in two years which isn't so bad unless you do all of them in the last minute, which means you're screwed.

When you're in form 5 or form 3 though, you have to do more tests and more exams than usual because there is the PMR and SPM examinations.

PMR examinations determine which stream you go to. Literature, Science, Economy or Commerce. The people with good PMR results go to Science Stream obviously. When you go to Science, you can go anywhere else but if you are in the others, you can't go to science.

SPM is for applying for university scholarships and also for leaving your name with a bang.

During these two years is when your pimple come out, you get fatter or skinnier, get white hair or get humongous dark undereye circles and eyebags.

Then after that, there is the extracurricular activities.

First there is the 1 Murid 1 Sukan which means that a student has to do 1 type of sports for a given time. I think this is useless and thankfully, I get to skip these activities because I have to attend my classes. Classes comes first.

Then there is the three compulsory clubs you have to join. Uniform, games and clubs. I joined fencing, St John and nature lovers. Each year, the teachers will rate your activeness in each club and give you a grade.

After the five years you attend your secondary school, you have to get an A. NO B OR C OR D. This is so that you get accepted into universities more easily.

Ok ok, maybe other schools are a bit more lenient but my school puts an emphasis on getting A. So far, I have a B.

I don't understand whyyyyy!!! I've joined so many competitions and school activities and I never skip a meeting before. And yet they give me a mediocre B.... I hope that I can finally get an A by the end of the year!

So there you go! Its pretty uninteresting.

Till next time then.

No comments:

Post a Comment