Sunday, December 09, 2012

Random Essay


The sun dazzled my eyes as he and I sat together under the shade of an apple tree. I dared a glance at him, and as usual, my breath was taken away by a mysterious force. His eyes were closed as he reveled in the crisp morning air. His ebony hair was blown back, away from his face, accentuating the tranquil aura that seemed to encompass every fibre of his being. He was laying back against the green grass, his hands behind his head and it took everything for me to look away.

It is at these quessant times, when I can let myself go and forget about the rest of the world and its properness, etiquette and manners. When I can let my hair go if I want to. When I can run and dance however and whenever. When I can eat with my fingers if I wish. But for now, I am perfectly idyllic with just watching the leaves fall beside Mathias.

"What are you thinking?" he murmurred lazily. I turned my head to see him boring his obsidian eyes into me.

What am I thinking? I'm thinking of how we first met when we were five years old. He was the son to the new mechanic working on my family estate. I saw him while I was having a picnic with my dolls under the very apple tree we were sitting under right now. I was just pouring some imaginary iced tea into a miniscule teacup when an apple dropped on top of my head making me yelp and while rubbing my head, I raised my head to the sky and saw a boy up on the tree.

"Who are you?" I called up to this mysterious boy, squinting my eyes against the rays of the sun. I could only see his silhouette as he crouched on a branch.

"Name is Mathias. What's yours?" he replied warily.

"Crystal. Come down from there," I said... And he did. I didn't know what to do with him, so I simply said, "Want to play with me?"

After a few seconds of contemplating my offer, he approached me and crossed his legs on the blanket I laid out. I gave a small smile, and he returned it with his own. That was the day I made my first friend.

"I'm just thinking of how we met. It was such a long time ago," I replied to his question.

"Yes, life would be very different if I wasn't on that tree that day," he said. His chuckle sounded like bells tinkling in the breeze as he sat up to look in the horizon with me.

"I wouldn't trade that day for anything," I said wistfully.

"And neither would I," he said it, almost as a faint whisper.

I was enchanted by his words and was surprised when I felt his rough palm on my cheek and his soft lips pressed across mine. It took me so by surprise that I couldn't even breathe let alone have to ability of speech. However, languidly, I responded to his kiss and drew back, touching my lips as if it was never there.

"I'm sorry," he said while shaking his head. "I've wanted to do that for the longest time."

"That was... unexpected.." Biting my lips, I was silently exuberant of the feeling. I shivered and my cheeks were suffused by the blood rushing through my face. This was the day I have been waiting for! This was the beginning of a new chapter of my life. This was--

"This was a mistake," he sighed and got up to leave.

"Excuse me, WHAT?" I said hoarsely, my fantasy crashing like a fragile crystal orb on the cold floor.. "A mistake? You kissed me, and we both liked it, how could it be a mistake?" I hysterically rambled but he continued his stride back to his home, the barn.

I ran after him, though it was a challenge in my long dress and the fear that someone sees me outside but through sheer determination, I caught up to him and forced him to look at me. "Why?" I demanded.

Running his hands through his hair, he explained. "I overheard your father and mother talking about your bethrothel to Sir Simon. You would be a countess, like you have always wanted. We can't ever be together." The bloody arse couldn't even bear to meet my desperate eyes, which were in hysterics trying to find something in his.

"I've never wanted that! Don't worry, I'll talk to mother and father. No, they won't force me to do this. Please..just don't leave me" I begged him, wet pearls threatening to fall on my cheeks.

Taking a deep breath, he said, "Meet me tonight, in the garden." Taking my hand, he brought it up to his lips and gave a single fluttering kiss upon my trembling fingers, and left.

Tearing my gaze away his retreating silhouette, I turned on my heels and stormed into the house to meet my father.

I wrote this and I'll give this essay a C because the storyline is bad and there's not much expressions.




5 comments:

  1. crystal!! u know how hard it is to contact u?? u okay? :( i heard about it last week. sorry im being a bad friend rite now :( there's just no way to contact u. Hope ur doing fine. i miss u n ur craziness. u still in beaufort? i'll contact u soon k? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written essay..I'll give it more than a C myself..:) Reminded me of the movie 'Flipped' I watched sometime back. Hope you've watched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it the movie about a boy named Bryce and a girl named Julie?

      Delete