Thursday, August 09, 2012

Hero

Okay, who has been keeping up with the olympics?? Definitely not me... Which is why on Tuesday, I was the only one clueless about Malaysia's defeat in badminton where Lee Chong Wei got a silver medal.

People were so sad and bummed at school that day and I didn't even know Lee Chong Wei was playing that night. Haiya, I fail as a citizen..

Anyway, Lee Chong Wei was against China's Lin Dan and it was 21-19. Chong Wei had an injury and had to take painkillers the whole time. And then when he lost, he shed tears and said sorry to the whole of Malaysia. No Lee Chong Wei, you have nothing to be sorry for! What else could the people ask from him other than his best.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. He got a silver dammit! Isn't that already good enough? Frankly, I was nonplussed that Malaysia could get a medal at all. That fact is so palpable but why isn't anyone seeing it!

But then again, it could possibly be that people were down that day because we were already so close to winning our first gold medal in Malaysian history! FIRST! And to have that hope thrown to the floor and trampled on, well, maybe we aren't seeing the bigger picture.

You know what makes a bad scientist? When making an experiment and imagining only one possible outcome. And when the outcome is different than what we expected, we think we have failed.

But you know what, the world would be so much different if Newton, Einstein, (insert other great scientists here) thought that way. We never would've discovered the telephone if Alexander Graham Bell thought that way. We wouldn't know of flying contraptions if the Wright Brothers thought that way. And nobody could be successful thinking that way.

Which brings me to my next point. I believe that people won't find true happiness without gratitude. Because if we aren't content with what we already have, then we would never ever be satisfied, right? We would just keep wanting more and more and more but it will never be enought. Lee Chong Wei has tried his hardest to make Malaysia proud, and eventhough he really actually did, he thought that he failed. Sure, being in second place is a shitty place to be, but its not the worst. The worst would be the quitter's feelings. And I have experienced that first hand.

It was last year, in a fencing tournament. And I was put into the epee fencing match when in truth, I hae never even held an epee blade. So after my first match and losing miserably, I quit. And the feeling was horrible.

Maybe the Negaraku wasn't played this year, never mind la! Our flag was waving up there too!

Maybe we got second place. But hey! WE GOT A PLACE!

Maybe our hopes were too high... BUT HEY WE HAD HOPE!

I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT EVENTHOUGH I DON'T CARE MUCH ABOUT OLYMPICS OR SPORTS, I AM STILL A PROUD MALAYSIAN, SAYING THAT LEE CHONG WEI IS AWESOME AND INSPIRATIONAL. HE HAS BROUGHT THE WHOLE OF MALAYSIA TOGETHER.

Lee Chong Wei's spirit in the olympics and his determination is really moving.

As the commentator of ESPN said, skill wins you medals, but attitude wins hearts. Or something like that.




No comments:

Post a Comment