Friday, July 06, 2012

Sweet Childhood Memory

When I was 8 years old, I moved into a new school and not just any school... A PUBLIC SCHOOL.

It was my first time having to actually speak Malay to get along with some people.
It was my first time without an airconditioned school environment.
It was my first time having to wear a pinafore.
It was my first time being without my mother by my side to hand me money.

Because before that, I went to a privileged private school, Seri Insan where my mother worked in the secndary division. There...

We had two recesses a day.
We had the whole school airconditioned.
We sat during assembly.
We wore cute uniforms.
We had an awesome playground.
We all spoke only English. (except during BM classes.)

Yes, I was a spoiled child. I still am a spoiled child right now actually haha. I also remembered my friends and I going to the principal's office after school and asking Principal Patrick for sweets. He was so nice!!

You might think that the subjects are easier because everybody there is rich so they don't care about studies but its harder okay! We had social studies, where we have to do Show And Tell!! My favorite part of that class!! I guess it taught me to not be shy, to sharpen my answering and questioning skills, and to talk in front of a room full of people (eventhough its only 7 year olds). I remeber I brought 2 bunny rabbits (Fifi and Fufu) and I think I did quiet nicely. And then, I also got a turtle, but it died before I could show it to the class so my mom got me an emergency science experiment from her students, A PICKLED LIZARD. Btw, my teacher didn't appreciate that much.

I also had music classes which were compulsory and its not like, just writing down the lyrics and singing them in front of the class. I had to learn the chords and we had all these instruments in the music room. Piano, guitar, violin, cymbals yada yada yada. My favorite was the triangle. All my other friends were rich and privileged so they were sent to a music school by their parents. And of course they would know all he chords and technicalities of it all right?! Haha, needless to say, music class was a waste on me because I am musically retarded.

Then, we had computer class. Haha, I loved this one the most. I remember I always fought with my partner over who gets to play with it. Now, I realise how dumb it was because our favorite game was "Paint". Lol. And my mother was so proud of me for learning how to use "Word Document" and I was even more excited than her. The whole day I would brag to my friends how I know how to use Word lol.

Then all hell broke loose when my school changed location and it was too far away. More hell broke loose when my parents told me that I would be going to St. Agnes Primary School.

On my first day, my dad accompanied me. It was a Monday, so everybody was at the hall for the weekly assembly. My dad kept telling me and pointing out my class, but I wasn't paying attention. Lol.

When we got into the hall my dad told one of the teachers that I was new and that teacher told a prefect to put me in my class's line. And guess what? He put me in the WRONG CLASS.

While I was in my line, these girls talked to me... IN MALAY. I was so confused because I almost never spoke malay to others except my family. And even then, its broken Malay. Somehow, I got these girls to be my friends yay! But that effort went down the toilet because as we were leaving the hall, I lost them and that was the last time I saw them.

So I wandered aimlessly through the school in search of my class. And failed miserably because I just went inside a random empty class. Then, all these students streamed in. Seeing a new girl, I guess they were interested so, they talked to me and asked my name, where I was from. I sat between a girl (Nafthalyeona I think) and a boy (Khairil). While we were taking, I started crying suddenly and Khairil panicked and called other people to help me. And I never expected these strangers to comfort me!! So.. I stopped lo.

Finally, my dad came in to check on me. In fact, I was in the right class after all (my instincts are so sharp lol). And finally he left me, all alone.... well not alone, because I had some friends.

That day, something new also happened. I was introduced to this Moral/Agama division. These people asked me if I was a Muslim or not and I said "I don't know" lol. How naive I was!! But in the end, everything worked out and I found my place in the Moral class.

Yay, thats my story on my sudden culure shock when I transferred school. I'm actually really glad that I tranferred because in so many ways, I wouldn't have my life now if I hadn't. And I am VERY VERY VERY happy with my life. I wouldn't meet and be friends with the amazing people right now. I wouldn't be able to speak Malay fluently. I wouldn't be in Lok Yuk. I wouldn't get straight A's for PMR. I wouldn't be able to

I would list a lot of other things but being me, I'm too lazy lol.

Love,
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment