Friday, July 13, 2012

Wedding Essay

My teacher gave me 40/50 for this essay.


I closed my eyes as the beautiful notes of “Here Comes The Bride” flowed through the air like a soft breeze. A pleasent gust of wind rustled the rose bushes which emitted fragrances around the garden.

                I opened my eyes and around me, people were looking back to the bride and I could see why. She was dressed elegantly in white, her hair cascading down like a waterfall down her back, and a serene smile curled on her lips. She seemed to be oblivious to the hundred or so people in the garden, because her gaze was locked on the groom. Slowly, she inched across the isle in her white stilettos, and arrived at her place beside him just as the music came to an end.

                The music faded, and the clergyman stepped up to the microphone, Bible in hand. He smiled at the assembly. "Cherished family members and honored guests, I would like to thank each of you for coming out this morning," he said. The sound carried well from the small speakers to either side of the podium. The pastor placed the Bible down before him. "Let us begin by offering thanks to the Lord on this wonderful day." We all bowed our heads and he prayed.

                I did not pay much attention to what happened after that. However, I did snap my head in attention once the couple started to say their vows and exchange their rings. I think the best part of the wedding was their vows, because it was their oath to each other, their promise, that they would stand by each other’s side no matter what. After that, they exchanged their wedding rings made of diamonds and finally, the couple kissed and with their arms linked, they walked through the isle together.

                All around me, people with pearls rolling down their cheeks got up to follow the bride and groom. I followed them, and when I arrived, the couple was almost inside a black limosine, decorated with white ribbons and roses.

                I hastily pushed my way to the front of the  cheering crowd just as the bride suddenly threw her bouquet of pastel pink up towards the light blue sky and everybody gasped as it landed promptly into my open hands. My mouth hung open and I glanced around me as everyone clapped and cheered. Slowly, I began to realise what was happening and a huge smile crept across my face. The bride, gave me one last look, a look filled with pure happiness and gave me a wink before she disappeared into the shiny black limosine.

                I released a chuckle and wished my only sister, the only person who has ever truly cared for me after our parents died in an unfortunate car crash, the best of luck. Now, after this day, I have to care for myself. We have both gone through a tough time together, and tears filled my eyes when I realise that she at least has her chance of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment